1 enlarge or increase; "The recent speech of the PLO chairman augmented tensions in the Near East"
2 grow or intensify; "The pressure augmented"
- Rhymes: -ɛnt
- To increase, make
larger or supplement.
- The money from renting out a spare room can augment a salary.
- To slow the tempo or meter, e.g. for a dramatic or stately passage.
- To increase an interval by a half step (chromatic semitone).
- To increase the largest interval in a triad, especially a fifth or a sixth, by a half-step (chromatic semitone).
- Chinese: 增加 (1)
- Dutch: verhogen (1, 2), vergroten (3, 4)
- Finnish: lisätä (1)
- French: augmenter (1)
- German: vermehren (1), vergrößern (1)
- Interlingua: augmentar (1)
- Italian: aumentare (1)
- Japanese: 増やす (fuyasu, 1), 増加する (zoukasuru, 1)
- Latin: augmentare (1)
- Norwegian: økning (1)
- Portuguese: aumentar (1)
- Spanish: aumentar (1)
- Volapük: xäinön (1)
- Tagalog: palakihin
Augment may refer to:
- Augment (linguistics)
- Augmentation (music), the musical technique of lengthening or widening of rhythm or interval
- Augmentation (obstetrics), the process by which the first &/or second stages of an already established labour is accelerated or potentiated by deliberate and artificial means.
- Augmentation (psychiatry), the combination of two or more drugs to achieve better treatment results
- Synaptic augmentation, a form of short term synaptic plasticity
- Augmentation (heraldry), heraldic modifications
- Augment (Star Trek), in Star Trek, a group of genetically engineered humans.
- Augment (band)
- NLS (computer system), the pioneering computer hypertext system derived from Douglas Engelbart's oNLine System, renamed "Augment" by Tymshare
- Augmented (band)
- Nanotechnological augmentations, a feature in the computer game Deus Ex and its spiritual successor Project: Snowblind (renamed to "biomods" in its sequel, Deus Ex: Invisible War).
- Augmented reality
- Augmented cognition
augment in German: Augmentation
add to, agent provocateur, aggrandize, aggravate, amplify, annoy, bloat, blow up, boost, broaden, build, build up, bulk, bulk out, compound, crescendo, deepen, deteriorate, develop, dilate, distend, embitter, enhance, enlarge, exacerbate, exalt, exasperate, expand, extend, fatten, fill out, fortify, heat up, heighten, hike, hike up, hot up, huff, increase, inflate, intensify, irritate, jack up, jump up, lengthen, magnify, make acute, make worse, manifold, maximize, mount, multiply, parlay, provoke, puff, puff up, pump, pump up, put up, pyramid, raise, rarefy, recruit, reinforce, rise, sharpen, sour, strengthen, stretch, sufflate, supplement, swell, thicken, up, upsurge, wax, widen, worsen